King John's House, Romsey
King John's House is a small museum in Romsey. The King decreed that a house should be built in 1221, and when the discovery of some very old parts to the house were made in 1927, it was believed to be the same building. But further investigations suggest that this might be a few years later.
It is known that this house was owned by the Abbey at the time of the dissolution, when it was passed on to John Foster in 1539.
The property has been occupied of over 800 years. Starting it's life possibly with Royal connections, and ending in the early twentieth century as part of a densely populated slum, before the adjacent buildings were demolished and it became a museum.
1580 - A Merchant's Home
A small event portraying a local merchant and his wife as they start to prepare for the Christmas season. Visitors enjoyed some warm mulled apple juice before coming upstairs to meet the Addoms busy making kissing bows with holly, ivy and bay. Nicholas Addoms was busy trying to sort out his orders before Christmas and discussed cloth finishing amongst other things.
Meet the household